Sunday 25 November 2012

Meerkats... at an Aquarium?!?


Today I went with my family to St.Andrews Aquarium with the intention of finding and sketching some sea-life crabs, as research for some animation I will be doing as part of a visual effects project with fellow animation student Sarah Rettie: http://poppinsin3d.blogspot.co.uk/
However I only came across one Hermit crab, there were only a few others and they all appeared to be hiding from the world! Nevertheless there were lots of other creatures to draw:


One creature I discovered today was the Axolotl - I didn't even know they existed but turned out to be fascinating! They are a type of salamander and wild axolotl are actually near extinction! What makes them so wonderfully weird to look at is the external gills that branch off the sides of their heads like branches of turquoise coral or feathers. They kind of reminded me of Chinese dragons. Their head shape also is very reminiscent of the dragon character 'Toothless' from 'How to train your dragon'!



One of the most random animals that I was not expecting to come across today were Meerkats! Odd yes, but entertaining most definitely!



I even came across a crocodile! Dangerous research to the max!



No comments:

Post a Comment